Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Student Driver

My oldest daughter will soon be joining the ranks of those who can legally drive a vehicle on a public road ... by herself!

A little backstory: My daughter just turned 18, which puts her behind age-wise to other new drivers. However, my insurance agent strongly advises that all teenagers wait until they turn 18 to get their license because their insurance will be lower than if they get their license at age 16. Since she is paying for her own insurance, she thought that was a good idea, so she wisely chose to wait. And, since I feel she showed a little bit of maturity in making that decision, I feel more at-ease with her abilities to make good decisions in other matters as she grows older ... and ultimately on her own.

Over the last couple of years, she has had her temporary license and we have let her drive some. The very first time I ever let her get behind the wheel, we went to a huge empty parking lot of a store that had closed. Before she started, I first lectured her - like any good Dad would - explaining that she was to listen to me and that she should obey me immediately - none of this asking "Why?" to everything I told her. "Obey first, and THEN ask questions!"

After we went through the typical car safety rules such as adjusting mirrors, seats, and safety belts, I took a deep breath and told her to start the car. She started the car and immediately the radio blared to life to a local Contemporary Christian station.

I kid you not ... the song that was playing the moment my daughter started the engine for her first driving lesson, was Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take The Wheel."

Who said God doesn't have a sense of humor?

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I just love God! He cracks me up sometimes.

Abatevintage said...

Oh my gosh that is too funny. Jesus take the wheel, I think I would've had her turn the car off and get on out, and get behind the wheel myself. I would've had to drive if that song came on lol. Woooh I don't know how you will do it without having a heart attack when I was learning how to drive my mom said I aint teachin her she made my dad do it lol that is what you guys are good for, you can take more of the heart wrinching driving scares from the kids than us mom ;0)

God bless you

♥´¨)¸.+´¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥♥¸.+´
¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥ Heidi ♥)

He & Me + 3 said...

I often sing that song to myself when the kids are driving me crazy. LOL
That is too funny and yes, God does have a great sense of humor.

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

Great post! :> )

Sherry said...

Even God has a sense of humor! How appropriate and . . . hilarious!