Sunday, January 11, 2009

Five Favorite Books

Another List:

1) The Bible - I use four versions pretty much exclusively: The King James Version, The New King James Version, The New International Version, and The New Living Transation. I preach out of the New King James, but I quote a lot from the NIV and the NLT. For my own personal devotions, I use the NLT.

2) Hardy Boys series - Yes, you read that right. I'm not talking about the modernized paperback versions, but the old hardbacks written back in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's. They were my favorites growing up and I still collect them when I can find them cheap. Who can forget the adventures of Frank and Joe, and the antics of their pal, Chet? These guys were getting konked on the head 2-3 times in every adventure. And every meal was vividly described in detail so that your mouth watered as you read the menus. I'm in my mid-40's and I still read them when I want a mind-dump.

3) The Purpose Driven Church - by Rick Warren. This book has given me several ideas for sermon series, and it has enabled me to sort through the maze of church leadership ideas. I always seem to find my way back to those five purposes for the church.

4) Perry Mason novels - Again, you read that right. Erle Stanley Gardner created a great character in Perry Mason. I liked the old TV shows, but the books are far superior to the shows. Poor Hamilton Burger. If there was ever a worse disctrict attorney, I'd like to meet him.

5) This one is tough because I have a lot of favorites. But because I am a pastor, and because I like doctrinal issues, I would have to go with a book written by one of our own Church of God writers. "Scenes From the Throne" was written by Richard Bradley, and it is a collection of lectures he has given on the Book of Revelation. It is one of the easiest interpretations I have read. Brother Bradley uses the church-historical method of interpretation. Many folks - even within the Church of God - see this method as out-dated and unsophisticated. However, it makes more sense to me than any other interpretations I have listened to.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

The last choice surprised me. I'm not sure I remember hearing that title before, although I have definitely heard him speak on Revelations.