Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Rambling Thoughts

Tomorrow is our "Annual Church Business Meeting" at the church. I must admit I have never liked business meetings. I know they are a necessary evil, but I still don't like them. I have heard horror stories about church business meetings, and even have been in a few business meetings in years past at other churches, that bordered on "horror story."

I must admit that EVERY business meeting at our current church that I have been a part of (this makes my Number 13) has been extremely mild - no yelling, no red faces, no angry accusations, or cheap shots. In fact, we usually leave business meetings feeling better, and feeling more hopeful about the future, than when we arrived. How many churches can say that?

However, I still don't like the meetings. I guess I have a hard time picturing Jesus and his disciples sitting through Judas Iscariot's financial reports (Remember, he was their treasurer).



I also noticed the results of the run-off election down in Georgia, where the Republicans actually were able to hang on to the Senate seat. Senator Saxby Chambliss is on his way back to Washington. The main thing this does is keep the Democrats from the 60-vote supermajority they need to railroad legislation through both houses of Congress.



And finally, from the files of "Things That Make You Go, 'Mmmm.'" Have you heard the old excuse, "The Devil made me do it!" Well, now we have someone who claims that "God made him do it!" That's right ... according to this guy, God had a case of road rage, and ordered this dude to take care of the problem ... at 100 mph. I'm a preacher, and you know there is a forthcoming sermon illustration in this story.

No comments: